Film Hub Scotland’s Education in Cinema Survey: Read the executive summary
Date25th August 2022
AuthorBy Sandra Kinahan, report by Duncan Harte
It is our pleasure to share the executive summary of Film Hub Scotland’s Education in Cinema Survey Report.
Between March and May, 2022, Film Hub Scotland conducted a broad survey of film education provision for under-25-year-olds across Scotland. We are delighted to present the executive summary of our findings, and will share the full report in September. You can download the executive summary PDF below.
Of Film Hub Scotland’s 200 members, the Survey received 65 responses. The survey focused on provision of activity in three key categories: Youth Screenings, School Screenings and Education Activities. The results show some truly inspiring education work taking place across Scotland, as well as national challenges and specific barriers faced by education providers.
Some key findings include:
- 52 respondents currently offer provision in at least one of the key categories. Many offer a broad range of ‘Education Activities’ beyond screenings, from enhanced screenings to filmmaking and industry skills.
- Funding sources for cinema education were cited as Screen Scotland (62%), charitable organisations (40%) and BFI (31% – also a charity).
- 71% of organisations hosting school screenings have received support from Into Film.
- Film education programmes are more successful than wider programmes when it comes to engaging audiences from lower socio-economic backgrounds, or with experience of being in the care system.
- Some other under-represented groups, especially D/deaf and disabled audiences, are underserved by cinema education.
- The best-served local authorities are Glasgow and Edinburgh.
- A number of other local authorities, including several highly-populated central belt towns, have no reported provision of their own.
Among many things, we have learned that many organisations would like to work more collaboratively to expand their education offerings. We hope that, as a network, we can now facilitate future collaboration.
Download the Executive Summary here.
The full report will be published in mid-September. It contains illuminating geographical data, and explores the sector’s challenges and successes in greater detail.
The Film Hub Scotland Education in Cinema Survey is funded by Screen Scotland. Our official survey partner is Into Film.Back to News